That all vehicles pollute the environment there is no doubt about. That is why it can be wise to look for more eco-friendly solutions, maybe an electric car. The impact of electric cars in the last few years has shown that a lot of the consumers do think about the environment more today than ten years ago. Another factor is that the development with electric cars has been prominent.

The construction and the capacity

An electric car is a vehicle with one or more electric motors. The characteristics in an electric car is mostly determined on the size of its batteries. A large capacity in the battery gives a better range but unfortunately also a larger affect on the environment. The most common type of battery in today’s electric cars are lithium-ion accumulators. How far it will be possible to travel in an electric car depends on a lot of factors. The size of the battery and the effect of the motor are the biggest factors, the shape of the car another. With small air and rolling resistance it takes less effect to run the vehicle forward. Ground and temperature are also of significance. A battery will lose effect when temperature drops. Any extra equipment, like stereo or air conditioning, are also factors that will alter the range when used. Worst possible conditions for an electric car is a cold winter day with snow on the road. The capacity of the battery will sink with the cold temperature, the tires will run heavily, and more power will be needed to make the compartment warm.

Need for charge


As all batteries the one on the electric car needs charging. There are lots of different ways to charge a battery. The most common, but slowest way to charge is normal charging or home charging as it is also called. Generally, you can say that it takes a night to charge a normal battery to full capacity. Along the roads, and at shopping centres or other public places, there are charge stations to quickly charge the battery to be able to continue your journey. After about an hour an empty battery is charged with up to 80 percent. The remaining 20 percent takes a little longer to achieve. This kind of fast charges is to be used when you are travelling far to extend the range.

Electric car needs charging.
Electric car needs charging.

Economy and joy


In Europe the total cost per kilometre is lower for an electric car than a car running on fossil fuels. Unfortunately, the electric car is more expensive to buy than a regular one and also has a lower resale value. Different countries have different incentives to make people buy an electric car instead of regular ones. These incentives vary from large subventions on the price to getting no advantages at all. Ehen it comes to maintenance an electric car is much cheaper since it contains much fewer moving parts. Repairs and service is much cheaper if it isn´t a change of battery which can be costly. An electric car can be faster and quieter than a regular car which gives comfort to your driving experience. Since the battery is very heavy and placed low in the car it gets a low centre of gravity which means that it will follow the curves smoothly.

Environmental gains


The biggest win with electric cars is of course the environment. If you change cars run on fossil fuels to electric cars the pollution of particles and carbon dioxide will decrease. The air will be cleaner, and risk of cancer will decrease. This of course provided that the batteries are manufactured and charged by fossil free energy.